Thursday, March 15, 2018

Just Begin


It feels weird to be writing about this topic. A few posts ago, I wrote about what's been keeping me busy lately (apart from my day job, of course). 

In 2014, after having just finished a commissioned wedding invitation suite, I revisited the idea of making my own social stationery and paper goods. Obviously I did not act on that idea right away. I have a strong tendency to overthink, I can also be a big worrier. From that point on, until around October or November of last year, the idea of making my own stationery would pop up. I'd think on it--but the things that I would have to consider just overwhelmed me-- and so the plan of setting up a stationery business would be shelved. 

At the last minute in December 2017 however, I thought, I'd take a chance-- come up with some designs and see if anyone would patronize the designs I worked on. AND OH BOY WAS I SURPRISED. Not only did I get orders from friends, but also from complete strangers! So now, looking back, I'd like to share some of my realizations on working on a new venture / taking a leap / or whatever it is you'd like to start on.


01. The Right Mindset. I am all about planning and not just rushing into things. But, I wouldn't recommend planning so hard as I did that it was detrimental to me just starting on my stationery venture. December of last year was when I told myself "No time like the present". What do I have to lose? Well, a significant amount of money, but... I didn't want that stationery business idea to remain just that. I wanted to see for myself if it would do well. 

02. List them down. It helps to do your research. List down all the things you need to learn or find out about, then slowly work your way through that. Making a list of what I had to do or have beforehand made the jump a bit easier. Having all these thoughts in my head made the task so daunting--but listing them down (in pretty stationery, of course) made them easier to tackle. 

03. Be Passionate. It's easier to keep pushing if you are passionate about what you are doing. If you just started because everyone's doing it too and it seems easy enough, then that might not be a good push for you. Chances are, after you've mustered up the courage to take a leap-- there will be several hurdles still down the line. Your passionate for your venture or project will fuel if you'd still go through the hurdles or just give up. 


I'm a firm believer that milestones--big or small, should be celebrated. Having a tendency to overthink and worry, just taking a  leap with social stationery means a lot to me. I'd like to know about what hurdle you've recently gone through or if you've had the same experience about starting on a new venture!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© thursday after seven. Design by FCD.